[linux-audio-dev] Support code for synthesis?

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Support code for synthesis?
From: andrew_AT_acooke.org
Date: Mon Oct 29 2001 - 12:48:40 EET

Hi,

I'm thinking of writing some audio synthesis code - I want to play
around with some ideas raised by the physical synthesis in Tau. Can
someone point me to appropriate support software? I'm hoping that
there is some kind of framework that provides MIDI, GUI and output
support (so I just drop the synthesis code into some nicely documented
API and it all looks and sounds really spiffy).

Alternatively, what are the most reliable/supported/popular toolkits
(for Midi, GUI, output)? Or should I look at modifying an existing
open source synth? Somewhere, I've seen a description of a synth
that's become part of KDE(?) - I guess that would be OK, too, although
it seems odd to be neither OS nor user app.

Also, I'm hoping that at least simple sounds will work in real-time
(hence Midi), but expect some will require "batch processing". And
I'm a software engineer (nee physicist), not a musician or Linux audio
user, so my knowledge of existing apps is minimal.

Basically, I want to spend as little time as possible implementing all
the support gubbins (especially GUI programming, which I'm not exactly
keen on)...

Thanks,
Andrew

--