Re: [linux-audio-dev] multitrack and editor separate?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] multitrack and editor separate?
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Mon Oct 29 2001 - 17:48:33 EET

>> I would like to undo per region so that....-- suppose I have two regions,
>> and B. Region A, to oversimplify, needs filtering to some extent, and
>region
>> B needs compression, amongst other things. Time compression, maybe, to
>> beat-sync the regions. Now, I slide the regions to where I need
>alignment,
>> and apply the time-compression to region B. Then I apply my filter to
>region
>> A. I then apply compression to B, then realize that I've overdone the
>> filtering on A. I want to undo the filter while leaving the compression
>(and
>> timebase shift) in place. Thus, each region ideally should have
>independent
>> undo stacks.

i'm confused. you seem to be talking about non-realtime FX that you
apply to a region, bounce the result back to disk, then use the result
in place of the old region. most modern DAW's don't do such a thing
unless you specifically ask them too. whenever you add, remove or
replace a region, the edit state of the playlist is saved, and so you
can always back up to the point before that region was replaced by its
bounced cousin.

otoh, i can see the utility of being able to say "revert the settings
for the FX settings in this region back to <here>" and also saying "go
back to when this region hadn't been bounced down to disk, but that
one had". ok, its on the TODO list for ardour. sounds relatively easy
to do, and might actually fit in with some other undo/redo issues i am
facing anyway.

--p