Re: [linux-audio-dev] multitrack and editor separate?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] multitrack and editor separate?
From: Jussi Laako (jussi.laako_AT_kolumbus.fi)
Date: Mon Oct 29 2001 - 21:27:57 EET

Paul Davis wrote:

> * per-track tempo maps, for handling poly-rythmnic music properly
> * non-western rythmnic structure supported in tempo maps (e.g.
> non-integral beats per bar, non standard time signatures)

At least I don't know how to do it, which doesn't mean it can't be done.

> * mixer strips do not have a 1:1 correspondence with either physical
> audio channels or disk tracks, and the same channels and/or disk
> tracks can be processed by multiple mixer strips at once

Same with SONAR if I understood this.

> * unlimited counts of all major objects in the program (no silly
> limits like "up to 128 tracks")

SONAR has unlimited number of tracks. However, AUX sends are limited to 16
and virtual main outputs are limited to 64.
(Also unlimited undo/redo)

> * pre *and* post fader redirects (inserts/sends), any number of each

Same with SONAR.

> * MTC master (SONAR might do this, but Cakewalk does not AFAIK, and
> neither

Dunno what MTC is...
Btw. You mean Cakewalk ProAudio when talking about Cakewalk not Cakewalk
SONAR?-)

> * and the biggest of all: ardour runs on a stable, reliable, low
> latency capable operating system called "linux"

That's true. I haven't been able to crash SONAR anyway...

How about Ardour's notation capabilities? What kind of sample/groove loop
editing does Ardour have (something similar to SONAR or Propellerhead
ReCycle)?

Now I still need some good software synths, like those that come with SONAR;
Roland's Virtual SoundCanvas, Audio Simulation's DreamStation and Applied
Acoustics Systems' Tassman. And other external stuff like Propellerheads'
ReBirth and Native Instruments' Reaktor.

Nngh, /me wants Access Virus :)

 - Jussi Laako

--
PGP key fingerprint: 161D 6FED 6A92 39E2 EB5B  39DD A4DE 63EB C216 1E4B
Available at PGP keyservers