Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio-related widgets with Qt ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio-related widgets with Qt ?
From: Daniel V. (dvenkita_AT_ecel.uwa.edu.au)
Date: Fri Sep 14 2001 - 19:17:13 EEST

On Friday 14 September 2001 23:00, you wrote:
> >This might (?) be useful [in the event that a Qt port would be possible
> > for Ardour etc.]
>
> Bwahahahahahahah!
>
> % cd /usr/local/music/src/ardour/gtk_ardour
> % grep ';[ \t]*$' *.cc *.c *.h | wc -l
> 9207
> % cd /usr/local/music/src/ardour/libs/ardour
> % grep ';[ \t]*$' *.cc ardour/*.h | wc -l
> 4590
>
> as you can see, the work involved in writing a GUI for a program like
> ardour is at least twice that involved in writing the back-end.

I won't pretend to know much of this issue, but a proof-of-concept text
front-end for ardour was written a while ago wasn't it? So (if this is true,
off the top of my head sorry) a Qt port be theoretically possible, depending
on how the separation is achieved. From my limited experience with both
toolkits, writing a custom Qt GUI widget is easier because there's less
setting up and managing of the area. I guess it depends on the
implementation - this is comparing a gtk_drawing_area with an derivative qt
widget. The gtk_canvas has probably improved this, and of course I can't
speak for gtk--.

I do agree on the STL point, I wish more C++ programs/libs used this.

Cheers,

Daniel.