Re: [linux-audio-dev] saving plugin settings

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] saving plugin settings
From: Taybin Rutkin (trutkin_AT_physics.clarku.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 15 2001 - 23:04:09 EEST

On Sat, 15 Sep 2001, Paul Davis wrote:

> >of a burden if the state of each app in a complex environment had to be
> >saved and restored individually.
>
> theoretically, this is not hard to do. there is already a duplex
> connection between the LAAGA server and each client, and the server
> can just ask for XML to be delivered representing the state.
>
> of course, the devil is in the details. how to identify each client
> when restoring state, etc. that starts to requires the server to know
> much more about clients that i tend to feel is a good idea.

One idea I had for this was for each application to define its own XML
tag. Say <ardour-settings></ardour-settings>. Then, each application is
sent the entire session file. The application would parse looking for its
tag and would only read that part. This is trivial with an XML library.
And JACK wouldn't need to know the details. And it would be easy to avoid
clashes if each application used its name in the tag.

It would require certain conventions about when and how to save and
restore settings, but that could be worked out by someone not me. ;-)

I'm not sure if JACK would be the proper place for this. But there could
be worse places for this convention.

Taybin