Re: STL / Qt flame-war (Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio-related widgets with Qt ?)

Subject: Re: STL / Qt flame-war (Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio-related widgets with Qt ?)
From: Tommi Ilmonen (tilmonen_AT_cc.hut.fi)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2001 - 18:05:43 EEST

> > > I guess it depends on what one is used to. I have always found STL totally
> > > painful
>
> It really isn't. It's a bit complex at start, probably because of the
> template use and the iterators. However, both of there are powerfull
> things and you should understand them both anyway (not that hard).

We are in the middle of a project where we use STL. So I am learning the
tricks. STL is fine if you are prepared to spend the time it takes to
learn the ins and outs. If I had to spend similar amount of effort on each
new library I'd never get to write anything.

> from pg 454 of "the" book. ;)
>
> // remove element n from container c:
> c.erase( c.begin()+n ); // ok if iterator supports +
>
> // or use
> c.erase( c.begin().advance(n) );
>

> You see, it's not that hard. :)

Can you recommend an online-version of this information? Just names of the
classes and their member functions and types in readable format. It would
be very much appreciated (since at least SGI's on-line docs are lengthy,
but difficult to understand).

Tommi.