Re: [linux-audio-dev] saving plugin settings

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] saving plugin settings
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2001 - 18:34:53 EEST

On Sat, Sep 15, 2001 at 09:49:55PM -0400, Taybin Rutkin wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Sep 2001, Paul Winkler wrote:
>
> > Looks fine, but why "port-number"? Since this is an attribute of the
> > port tag, there's nothing ambiguous about what it's a number of ... is
> > there? e.g.
>
> I think that was for my benefit. I still like port-number better than
> number. It doesn't get much more vague than "number". Maybe "port-id"?
> Or just "id"? Is it important? Are you worried about saving space?

"id" would be fine, and intuitively seems better to me.

The wasted space of "port-number" is trivial, it's the redundancy that
bugs me. This is a nitpick.

Whether you agree with that or not, please consider at least making
the attribute names consistent. We should either have:

  <port port-id="x" port-value="y"></port>

or (my preference)

  <port id="x" value="y"></port>

but certainly not

  <port port-id="x" value="y"></port>

(snip)
> > <?xml version="1.0"?>
> > <Ladspa>
> > <port number="4" value="1.00000" />
>
> That is legal in XML. The library I use (libxml++) output the more
> verbose <port></port>. I think the library could read the shortened
> format. I didn't worry about it.

Good, don't. It is indeed trivial, and certainly not worth changing if
you're using a library.

> But basically you like?

It looks good. Paul Davis is right that we should identify the
plugin. Furthermore I think there will need to be a way to identify
different presets for the same plugin. This could either be an
additional element of the xml data, or we could just expect different
presets to be saved to different files. I suspect it might be useful
to be able to store a collection of presets in one file.

<ladspa plugin="foo" preset="bar">
<port ...></port>
</ladspa>

<ladspa plugin="foo" preset="baz">
<port ...></port>
</ladspa>

Thoughts?

> I think the main question is where to put the
> presets. "/usr/local/lib/ladspa/preset/ladspa_plugin_id/"? That works

Fine.

> for me as a fine default. But should user created plugins be put there?
> I'm leaning towards having two directories. One for presets distributed
> with the plugin put in /usr/local/ and one for presets created by the user
> saved in a local directory. Maybe ".ladspa"? A little more work for us
> implementors, but I think it would be cleaner.

I agree. These are after all config files, and we all know that it's
useful to separate system-wide and user-specific config files.

--
 custom calendars:   http://www.calendargalaxy.com