[linux-audio-dev] [ADMIN] political petitions/chain letters

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] [ADMIN] political petitions/chain letters
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 12:25:01 EEST

dear lad/lau readers !

as a consequence of the terrorist attacks and the imminent threat of
military counter-measures from the u.s. government, some people have felt
the need to discuss the matter on our lists.
given the shock we have all been through and the fact that such acts
seem to make our common interest (which i think is linux audio) pretty
much irrelevant, i think these posts were legitimate.

however, there have been chain letters posted to the lists as a form of
protest against military reactions.
such chain letters follow the same strategy as virus hoaxes or
make-money-fast schemes, in that you are supposed to send them to all the
people you know, which newbies tend to do, generating gigabytes of totally
useless mail traffic each day.
among experienced users of the internet, such schemes are very much
frowned upon, and it is apparent that they are not an appropriate form of
protest (no authentication, duplication of signatures, possible
association will illegal fraud schemes etc.)

if you feel the need to collect signatures for a a petition to the u.s.
government, set up a web site and send out pointers.

i'd like to ask for the following:
* do not post chain letters any more
* do not send flames to people who do
* be tolerant when people must post off-topic in such a situation.

all the best wishes,

jo"rn

(disclaimer: i'm the admin, not the moderator. you decide what you post. i
just felt i should step in here to avoid needless flaming. if you want to
tell me to f&%$ off, you're welcome, but do so in private mail, please :)

Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany
phone://+49.201.491621
http://spunk.dnsalias.org
http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/