Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA and supporting programs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA and supporting programs
From: Karl MacMillan (karlmac_AT_peabody.jhu.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2001 - 18:11:05 EEST

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Paul Davis wrote:

> >When can we expect LAAGA to be stable enough (API-wise) and be supported
> >by linux audio programs? It's the thing I've waited the most in Linux
> >related development, especially for the syncing capabilities it offers.
>
> * OK, can we start calling it JACK now, or has Karl's paper done us in ?

I hope not, because JACK is a much better name, IMHO. I can change the
papers on my web site if you want to note the new name.

As far as the API goes, I think you should move forward with the current
one. I am certain that it will mean that certain apps are going to need a
fairly significant change, but I doubt that it will be a limitation in the
capabilities of the applications. I point to the success of ASIO, the
choices that Apple made with CoreAudio, and PortAudio as support for the
simple callback model of JACK. There seems to be a lot of momentum towards
this type of API and I think we should follow (as Paul has said in some
way for a _long_ time now).

Karl

> its a good question. i'm sorry that i don't have an answer right
> now. i believe that the API as far as it currently exists will be
> stable. so far, several people on the list have been enthusiastic
> about it; conversely Richard Furse felt that the API wasn't adequate
> and offered his own much more, uhm, complex API. there wasn't much
> comment on that, but what there was didn't seem convinced by the need
> for more complexity. we need to be sure about this, because it would
> be crazy to proceed with the current delightfully straightforward API
> and then find out that Richard was right, and it can handle other things.
>
> at some point soon, i need to convert Ardour to work with JACK, which
> will mean work on both the reference implementation and possibly some
> API changes. but i can't tell you precisely when that will
> happen. Ardour has lots going on with the editor right now, and until
> that reaches some reasonable point in terms of functionality,
> crash-proof-ness and so forth, almost nothing else is on my mind.
>
> once I *do* get Ardour ported, its my plan to convert several other
> small programs to use JACK, particularly RythmnLab and SpiralLoops.
>
> --p

Karl W. MacMillan
Computer Music Department
Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University
karlmac_AT_peabody.jhu.edu
mambo.peabody.jhu.edu/~karlmac