Re: [linux-audio-dev] newcomer questions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] newcomer questions
From: Lance Blisters (geoff_AT_ugcs.caltech.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2001 - 19:41:53 EEST

  GDAM does have Acid-ic potential. There has been a lot of work on the
  sequencing lately, while incomplete it is very promising and should be
  able to support any features you are looking for. I'm not terribly
  familiar with acid, i'd love to hear which features you find most
  useful. Currently, gdam offers;

    * cubase-style graphical pattern sequencing
    * recycle-stlye loop dissection and sequencing
    * control patterns or all buffers of one type
    * different rendering and sorting methods - y axis can be
      volume, pitch, pattern, buffer to play, etc
    * different tools and shortcuts for tiling samples and importing loops
    * hardware control support for triggering, etc.
    * a sequence can be put through filters and ladspa plugins, and
      synchronized with other gdam tools, such as mp3 turntables

  there is lots of functionality, mostly inspired by people's
  needs... lots of people were using midi keyboards to trigger
  loopsa in a sampler. they would play the first note of the loop
  freely, offbeat with existing loops. Then they would press the midi
  key exactly on beat and hold it down to bring the loop in. This
  required perfect timing or the loop would be out of sync, and they
  would have to try and repress it on beat the appropriate time came.
  also, if you had three loops playing you would be holding down three
  different keys. some people would wedge the keys down with a piece
  of card to free up their hands.

  so gdam makes it fast to import loops and automatically stretch them
  to match the tempo, then use 'hotkeys', midi keyboard, or any usb
  human interface device to both a) toggle a perfectly locked loop on/off
  b) trigger free play of the loop regardless of whether it is being looped.
  you can even have the free-play loop be a different volume and pitch than
  the locked loop... lots of melodies sound really good when counterpointed
  with that same melody at 111% speed! (four half-steps up in pitch)

  gdam is written in c with glib-style classes and objects, and gtk
  for the interface. we would welcome help, especially on the sequencing
  and loop playback... there are lots good features just waiting to be coded,
  and we're always looking for good ideas.

  unfortunately, lots of this hasn't made it into a release yet,
  so you'll have to build it from cvs... not hard, but there are
  more dependencies. development hosted by sourceforge, so anon
  cvs checkout is simple. webpage at ffem.org/gdam/

  -geoff