Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADMEA revisited (was: LAAGA and supporting programs)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADMEA revisited (was: LAAGA and supporting programs)
From: Karl MacMillan (karlmac_AT_peabody.jhu.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 30 2001 - 01:37:11 EEST

On Sat, 29 Sep 2001, Richard W.E. Furse wrote:

[lots of comments snipped]

> What worries me about LAAGA/JACK is that a very specific approach is taken
> to exchange implementation that isn't right for some tasks (e.g. bandwidth
> management, networking, handling of varied data types) although it is very
> good at some other things (e.g. low latency PCM audio). What I'd like us to
> investigate is a way forward in which clients can still make use of
> LAAGA/JACK when these features are the user's priority, but don't restrict
> the exchange to this form. In particularly, IMHO remote inter-application
> communication for audio software is HUGELY important for the future and I
> think the Linux audio community really needs to address it sooner rather
> than later. This API should be perfectly adequate for a "rewire"-style
> exchange. It also should be fine for a world in which a studio is made up of
> a network of rackmount Linux boxes, MIDI controllers, SP/DIF connections and
> ADSL connections to other studios.

It is certainly true that there is only one type of "exchange" currently
written for JACK, and that is for low-latency PCM. This does not mean that
the API is not suitable for other types of connections, though. I think
the beauty of the JACK API is that the clients have so few
responsibilities, which actually makes it easier to provide different
backends. I would certainly be interested in some specific cases that you
think cannot be handled by the JACK api - as Paul said, now is a good time
to talk about these issues.

Karl

> --Richard

Karl W. MacMillan
Computer Music Department
Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University
karlmac_AT_peabody.jhu.edu
mambo.peabody.jhu.edu/~karlmac