Re: [linux-audio-dev] ALSA vs OSS drivers

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ALSA vs OSS drivers
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Sun Sep 30 2001 - 20:03:30 EEST

>> ALSA drivers are what you want.
>>
>> All your OSS programs will work fine too.
>
>yes, it's what i want, too, but not all my oss programs work *at all* with
>alsa. specifically, jmax (2.4.12) does not work with oss-emu, it
>supposedly works with alsa 0.5, but not with 0.9, and i believe that 0.5
>has poor ice1712 (envy24) support.

please be sure to differentiate between "the current state of affairs"
and "how ALSA is supposed to be". if oss-emu fails under certain
conditions, thats a bug in ALSA, not a design issue. it needs to be
reported (properly), and it will hopefully be addressed in due
course. full binary OSS-compatibility is an integral part of the ALSA
design space.

--p