Re: (OT) [linux-audio-dev] Midi Mapper???

Subject: Re: (OT) [linux-audio-dev] Midi Mapper???
From: martijn sipkema (msipkema_AT_sipkema-digital.com)
Date: Sat Jan 05 2002 - 01:45:10 EET

> > > Also most MIDI drivers for professional interfaces will not be in the
> > > kernel. I would really like to get my Unitor working with Linux but I
> > > don't know how to do this with ALSA.
> >
> > I'm not a programmer, but I can tell you that this is unfortunately
true.
> > I have an Opcode Studio64X and I would like to use it with Linux, but I
> > haven't found an hacker interested in this device...
> > It connects serially to the PC and has 4 MIDI INs and 4 MIDI OUTs.
> >
> > If you know someone that want/can code a driver for this device please
let
> > me know.
>
> Have a look at this:
>
> http://jedi.ks.uiuc.edu/~johns/projects/midid/
>
> which is a user space driver for a a couple of these serial port midi
> interfaces.

This is a very simple system, not complete and as far as I know not
being worked on anymore.

This will also work: Just pipe a raw MIDI stream
to the serial port of most multiport serial MIDI interfaces (at the right
baudrate and data/stopbits) and it will work. You can even use a
'cable' message (0x50 followed by a byte indicating the cable iirc) to
use all ports.

--msipkema