Re: [linux-audio-dev] need setup recommendations for realtime audio on linux box

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] need setup recommendations for realtime audio on linux box
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 23:12:28 EET

> 1) what type of latency I can expect from the base configuration,
> no kernel patching!
>
> 1a)If latency >3ms I'll need to do kernel patch. Are there
> patches for 2.4.8 ? who/where would I go?

you can't possibly get reliable latency of around 3ms without a kernel
patch. if reliable latency performance matters, then any figure less
than 100ms requires a kernel patch. i don't know why you'd want to use
2.4.8 - the VM system is fundamentally broken until about 2.4.15 or
so. you have a choice of either the andrew morton "lowish" patches or
the preemptive kernel patch from robert love and friends.

--p