Re: [linux-audio-dev] Creamware Pulsar

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Creamware Pulsar
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 16:47:58 EET

>The creamware software system is very complex and they have
>not that much developers. So they focus on developing new

Actually, its not very complex. the SHARC architecture makes many
things that would be quite hard with Motorola or Intel chips rather
easy. from what guys at creamware told me, writing new DSP code for
their systems is pretty much exactly like writing a VST plugin, except
that you get to use a gcc variant (thank god!) for cross-compilation.

As for this:

>They don't have drivers for Windows NT 4.0 or ME.
>So don't expect Linux engagement.

You are apparently unaware that there is only a single case of an
audio interface with linux support where the manufacturer (or should i
say "brand", since hardly of these companies are actually
manufacturers; i digress) wrote the driver.

Its common in the linux world for volunteers to write device drivers
with minimal support from the brand. They supply documentation, or
existing source code, and sometimes sample hardware, then we do the
rest. There is no reason for Creamware or any other company to have to
devote their staff resources to linux - they merely have to be willing
to provide documentation and a sample board and it will get done.

--p