RE: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware
From: Pieter (pieter.palmers_AT_student.kuleuven.ac.be)
Date: Sat Jan 12 2002 - 22:52:22 EET

Erik,

>Have designed professional digital audio hardware in a previous
>job, I can tell you that is is far from straight forward, especially
>when you talk about more than 2 channels and try to achieve 110+ dB
>SNR. This is not something to be embarked upon unless you have a lot
>of time money and resources.

I know...
but then again, Rome wasn't built in a day. Maybe we could start with a
less stringent design. 110dB SNR does set a lot of constraints on the
design, and indeed you will need the equipment to even be able to measure
the SNR. I can imagine satisfying the constraints for the analog parts
is a job for the experienced analog designer, which I am not (yet).
Maybe that's where you come in ;) ?

Maybe I must clarify my previous mail:
I don't claim to be capable of creating a professional sound card. I'm
lacking both experience and funding.
What I do am sure of, is that I can design a nice MIDI interface. I'm just
wondering what it should be capable of. I'm an electrical engineering
student,
so I haven't spent much time in professional audio environments. I don't
know
what pro's want.

Tell me.

pieter.palmers_AT_esat.kuleuven.ac.be
Currently getting my
Masters in Science and Engineering, (micro-electronics)
@ ESAT laboratory, KULeuven, Belgium.