Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware
From: Rene Rebe (rene.rebe_AT_gmx.net)
Date: Sun Jan 13 2002 - 13:40:33 EET

From: Vincent Touquet <vincent_AT_ulyssis.org>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 01:24:33 +0100

> (cut)
> >Maybe a better approach would be, if you are thinking about low level stuff,
> >to use FPGA or so, but again, it's expensive.
> (cut)
>
> Small note:
> The RME Hammerfall DSP cards are built upon a Xilinx FPGA.

The "ELRAD magazine's digital IO soundcard "Take Five"" Georg
mentioned on the ALSA list on January the 11th also used a FPGA (if I
remember right ...).

I alsa mentioned creating an open card a year ago on this list - I have
the German c't selfmade project "Romea&Julia", which is a ISA card
with a Motorola 56k DSP and an External board useing Cristal chips. I
was mostly designed for realtime effects running on the DSP ...

I would be interessted in a multi-channel (like the Hammerfall or
Midiman Delta 1010), maybe having a Motorola or TI DSP to run effects
directly on it). Since PCI is a bit ocmplicated to handle, might
Firewire be a nice solution?

> But I don't think they have their implementation openly available :)
>
> They use Xilinx FPGAs at the exercise sessions for
> Digital Electronics and Processors at ESAT, don't they ?
> Maybe they could lend you one when they don't need them themselves.
> Provided you took care of it :)
>
> best regards
> vini
>
> PS: I don't do electronics, but CS :)
> (so I had DEP as a course last year)

k33p h4ck1n6
  René

--
René Rebe (Registered Linux user: #248718 <http://counter.li.org>)

eMail: rene.rebe_AT_gmx.net rene_AT_rocklinux.org

Homepage: http://drocklinux.dyndns.org/rene/

Anyone sending unwanted advertising e-mail to this address will be charged $25 for network traffic and computing time. By extracting my address from this message or its header, you agree to these terms.