Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Sun Jan 13 2002 - 19:09:34 EET

>compiler. I don't think anyone is willing to write a complete audio
>firmware in DSP assembly. So we need a free C compiler, and I only
>know of one: for the TMS320C3X series.

the SHARC and Motorola DSP series are supported by available versions
of gcc.

anyway, i personally think you're mad. software is truly amenable to
"community development" because the costs involved in getting started
are relatively small. this will never be true for hardware unless all
you are doing is hobbyist-type stuff that is never really there for
anyone else. i very, very much doubt that you could build a device
with the capabilities of the hammerfall for less than the cost of a
hammerfall.

--p