Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware
From: William J. DeMeo (william.demeo_AT_verizon.net)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 01:03:29 EET

Matthew Wishek wrote:

> I would think the following project would be of great interest. While not
> technically a sound card, I was thinking it could be extended for use as a
> programmable effects box.
>
> http://members.bbnow.net/rwhawkins/qube.html
>
> Matthew Wishek

...that looks very cool.

I think Paul makes a good point (as usual). But I would still like to
see what the creative spirit of open sorcerers might produce when they
apply themselves to hardware. Granted, it does seem like hardware is
sacred teritory in the sense that it is one of the few potentially
profitable arenas left. But I don't think that means people should be
discouraged from coming up with new stuff, whether soft or hard. You
never know what might come of a project that is not motivated by the
bottom line... just my $0.02.