Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware
From: John Meacham (john_AT_repetae.net)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 09:14:20 EET

complety open hardware designs that are sold are really not that rare.
some examples of how it can be done are
http://www.bitscope.com/
(very nice free digital sampling osciliscope. i am building this design into
the case of one of those cheapo internet appliance computers running
linux, whole thing much cheaper than a real osciloscope and more
powerful.)
and synths by http://www.paia.com/ (also good stuff.)

you could build them completely on your own, or just buy a fabed board,
or a complete kit. it is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

It will practically NEVER be cheaper to go get the boards on your own,
remember the cost of getting boards or chips made is
BIGNUMER + quantity*smallnumber. the designer can have them made in bulk
and even with their profit markup it will still be cheaper than getting
it made yourself unless you got connections.
        John

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 08:43:16PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> >I think there's no problem in selling open-source h/w...
>
> if its specs are open, and it can be manufactured without special
> facilities, why wouldn't anyone simply contract with
> <board-maker-name> and sell them for the lowest price? the lowest
> price might be good for consumers, but its bad for whoever wants to
> try to make all or part of their living from sales of their work.

John Meacham - California Institute of Technology, Alum. - john_AT_repetae.net