Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware
From: Jussi Laako (jussi.laako_AT_kolumbus.fi)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 20:05:12 EET

Paul Davis wrote:

> there are good reasons why certain kinds of devices don't exist. the
> most common is that hardly anyone wants them. the fact that you and a
> few other people want them *a lot* doesn't do anything to balance the
> fact that very few people want them at all. companies that make small
> production runs need to charge a fortune for each item; companies that
> make industrial sized production runs need customers. which of the two
> are you willing and/or able to provide: lots of money, or sufficient
> customers?

Yes, this was exactly my point. I see space for open source hardware here.
No one looses, but someone might win.

Price could be reasonable, even for smaller number of produced devices. And
people get what they want and not what someone chooses to give.

> no such device is being made for any OS at this time. the
> kyma/capybara comes close, but has nothing like that input channel
> count, AFAIK.

Yes, that's not very close to what I need. One system that comes close is
http://www.pentek.com/products/GetOTD.CFM/ap128chS.pdf?Filename=ap128chS.pdf

 - Jussi Laako

--
PGP key fingerprint: 161D 6FED 6A92 39E2 EB5B  39DD A4DE 63EB C216 1E4B
Available at PGP keyservers