Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware
From: Rene Rebe (rene.rebe_AT_gmx.net)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 22:21:00 EET

From: Joe Pfeiffer <pfeiffer_AT_cs.nmsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 12:27:03 -0700

> Jussi Laako writes:
> > Paul Davis wrote:
> > >
> > > the chip design is not open source. its a proprietary device,
> > > manufactured in industrial quantities. i don't see it as at all
> > > similar to the ideas discussed in this thread.
> >
> > It's just an interface chip. As FPGA or DSP processor discussed here. Nobody
> > was planning to make their own DSP processor, AD or DA converter. Just build
> > something based on such chips. ICE1712 doesn't do anything useful on its
> > own. ICEnsemble is IC producer, like TI or Motorola.
>
> It would be nice to be able to use a chip that isn't single-source,
> though -- like a 7400 in the TTL world. You could argue that a 7400
> isn't open in the sense of open-source code, but its specs are
> completely open and there are myriad vendors.

Erm. I do not think that there are reasonable DSPs out that are not
_single-source_ ... - There might be some 8051 compatible or 68k
compatible µCs ... - but often this is only on the software level and
you have to redesign your board ...

> --
> Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D. Phone -- (505) 646-1605
> Department of Computer Science FAX -- (505) 646-1002
> New Mexico State University http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~pfeiffer
> Southwestern NM Regional Science and Engr Fair: http://www.nmsu.edu/~scifair

k33p h4ck1n6
  René

--
René Rebe (Registered Linux user: #248718 <http://counter.li.org>)

eMail: rene.rebe_AT_gmx.net rene_AT_rocklinux.org

Homepage: http://drocklinux.dyndns.org/rene/

Anyone sending unwanted advertising e-mail to this address will be charged $25 for network traffic and computing time. By extracting my address from this message or its header, you agree to these terms.