Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware
From: Jussi Laako (jussi.laako_AT_kolumbus.fi)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 01:55:28 EET

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

> It would be nice to be able to use a chip that isn't single-source,
> though -- like a 7400 in the TTL world. You could argue that a 7400
> isn't open in the sense of open-source code, but its specs are
> completely open and there are myriad vendors.

I don't think there are many interchangeable parts in DSP world. Opamps and
other analog stuff is usually pin compatible, but I haven't seen any cross
manufacturer pin compatible converter parts. I think using DSP processors is
closest when programmed at C level. We can't simply replace DSP chips with
other manufacturers chips, but we could possibly make the code cross-DSP
compatible.

Hmm, unless we create some daughter card architecture to isolate the
pincompatibility issues to separate small modules. This is more difficult to
design well, but I think it would be great to have completely modular
system.

 - Jussi Laako

--
PGP key fingerprint: 161D 6FED 6A92 39E2 EB5B  39DD A4DE 63EB C216 1E4B
Available at PGP keyservers