Re: [linux-audio-dev] EVO status...was: (open-source like hardware)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] EVO status...was: (open-source like hardware)
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 17:39:56 EET

>Halion does use the smae technology BUT steinberg have shown that they have
>been using an equivalent algorithm before the patent have actually been
>granted to Nemesys. "Where?" will you ask? Well, in cubase of course! Every
>audio sequencer I know of have to do read ahead of audio data if they want
>to be useable!

We have a document about keeping beginnings of the audio segments
in memory for instant play in such multitrack application.
So, if that was all what was needed, we are in safe.

But sure I would like to get more information about how Steinberg
avoided patent royalties --- just in case the situation is not that
simple!

We should search for old manuals of jingle players. Two years ago
I checked plenty of Amiga software if there was anything, but no.
A friend wrote and installed one such jingle player using the trick
 to an ice-hockey hall at 1993 (or so). Such jingle players are
not sampling synths, but they could provide docs on the trick
and on if a loops were used (one shot sampling synth is not good).

Also, two years ago we found out that a person worked on such
disk sampler. I remember we ended up to the situation that they
never published details of this unique installation.

In any case, preload in multitrack editor is totally different
 from a disk sampler. Perhaps Steinberg had something else too.

Best regards,

Juhana