[linux-audio-dev] VST System Link

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] VST System Link
From: Dustin Barlow (duslow_AT_hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Jan 19 2002 - 00:05:32 EET

I came across this article (hopefully this isn't old news for most of you)
about the new Steinberg VST System Link and found myself quite excited about
the possibilities (assuming it will work well).

Here's a clip from the SweetWater mailing list.

"Users of Cubase VST and Nuendo will soon be able to harness the power of
multiple computers with VST System Link. It connects computers using a
simple digital audio cable and lets you run more tracks and plug-ins than
possible on a single machine. Their idea is that you can build a really
powerful studio setup using multiple computers (Mac and PC)working
together."

http://www.harmony-central.com/News/2002/VST-System-Link.html

http://www.steinberg.net/infocenter/events/namm2002/vstsl.phtml?sid=07648858

I know this is Windows/Mac stuff, but I can't help but think how incredible
it would be to have a linux box be one (or more) of the nodes. It appears
to just use the digital outputs of an ASIO capable device so there is no new
hardware to buy either (assuming you have such a device and the OS to run
it).

I suspect that it is some proprietary streaming protocol they've come up
with, but I'm not sure. I'm also not sure if Steinberg would be willing to
release that spec. I'd suspect not.

The point of this post is that I could see JACK doing a similiar thing with
LADSPA plugins on multiple linux nodes. It would also be nice to be able to
run a linux node that would communicate with these VST/ASIO based systems.
If communicating to a ASIO based host is not an option, having the ability
to do it strickly in the linux realm would also be, imho, very handy.

.. or am I just a little crazy?

db