Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA 1.1

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA 1.1
From: John Meacham (john_AT_repetae.net)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 11:28:16 EET

I like this idea. any reason why it wasn't considered before? C
guarentees structs are laid out in order so you should be backwards
compatable. plus it doesn't eat up as many bits for future extension.
LADSPA really needs this.
        John

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 09:45:02PM +0100, Richard Guenther wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Steve Harris wrote:
>
> > Late last year there was some discussion about LADSPA 1.1, the defaults
> > issue still needs resolving, so can we agree on it?
> >
> > Paul's suggested addition to handle defaults looks like:

> > /* Hint LADSPA_HINT_DEFAULT_* indicates that in the absence of
> > other information (such as a preset or user preferences) a port
> > should be set to the suggested initial value. Notice that this
> > hint is valid only for control ports, and should not be set for
> > audio ports (hosts should ignore it if it is).
> >
> > HINT_DEFAULT_{MIN,MID,MAX} all require that the HintDescriptor
> > has HINT_BOUNDED_ABOVE and/or HINT_BOUNDED_BELOW set, as required
> > to compute the default value.
> > */
> >
> > #define LADSPA_HINT_DEFAULT_ZERO 0x40 /* set to 0.0 */
> > #define LADSPA_HINT_DEFAULT_ONE 0x80 /* set to 1.0 */
> > #define LADSPA_HINT_DEFAULT_MIN 0x100 /* set to min */
> > #define LADSPA_HINT_DEFAULT_MID 0x200 /* set to min+(max-min/2) */
> > #define LADSPA_HINT_DEFAULT_MAX 0x400 /* set to max */
>
> I'd add
>
> #define LADSPA_HINT_DEFAULT 0x40 /* set to LADSPA_PortRangeHint->Default
> */
>
> and add a member to the LADSPA_PortRangeHint structure (at the end, of
> course, being available, if the flag is set). Still compatible with
> old LADSPA versions.
>
> Richard.
>
> --
> Richard Guenther <richard.guenther_AT_student.uni-tuebingen.de>
> PGP: 2E829319 - 2F 83 FC 93 E9 E4 19 E2 93 7A 32 42 45 37 23 57
> WWW: http://www.anatom.uni-tuebingen.de/~richi/

John Meacham - California Institute of Technology, Alum. - john_AT_repetae.net