Re: [linux-audio-dev] VST link (open?)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] VST link (open?)
From: Dustin Barlow (duslow_AT_hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 23:38:21 EET

>Well, given that we don't even have the functionality that VST offers,
>its hard to see how we'd be trying to do what VST Link does. Its also
>hard to tell, from what Steinberg have released so far, exactly what
>it is that VST Link does. It could just be a distributed word-clock
>like signal that is used for block-based sample clocking. It could be
>a positional sync reference like MTC or SMPTE. It could be both. It
>could be something else. Its not really possible to tell just yet.

I agree. So let me rephrase the question. Is there any movement or
interest in having a multi-node audio system that can be controlled from a
master host that uses a communication protocol that will provide more then
just sync info? For example, it would be really sweet to have a node that
just does effects processing and has no need to waste any of its cycles
driving a gui. It could just be a "server" in the same sense that a
black-box commercial effects unit would be.

I know this can be done now with MTC and or STMPE sync between two or more
computers and some creative routing of digital signals via either TOSLink or
SP/DIF, but it would be much nicer to do away with all of that and instead,
bandwidth permitting, to run all of that info on one full duplex connection.

>Once we can tell, I can pretty much guarantee that JACK, as an
>existing synchronous execution engine, will evolve to support similar
>functionality, unless Steinberg are doing something incredibly wierd,
>or patented.

Sound very interesting. It would be really nice to have the ability to have
a signal routing sub-system (including remote) that would allow both audio
data and sync information to travel in full duplex across a single wire
(maybe Firewire or TOSLink) to multiple nodes (ie. a Beowulf type system for
audio).

I currently run a AMD T-Bird 1.2ghz, 1 gig of RAM, Adaptec U160 and a 10k
rpm IBM drive, and I have very little trouble kicking it in the pants when
running large mixing sessions with lots of audio tracks and VST plugs
(running at 24/48). Seems to me that no matter how fast a single box gets,
we will still push them to their max (and beyond) at some point.

db