Giftware mechanics, was Re: [linux-audio-dev] Soundcards: USB, Firewire, PCI, PCMCIA

Subject: Giftware mechanics, was Re: [linux-audio-dev] Soundcards: USB, Firewire, PCI, PCMCIA
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 20:16:46 EET

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 12:42:17PM +0000, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 11:48:37 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> >
> > while we're here, it occured to me to switch my own driver development
> > to a pseudo-shareware model. the work will be done regardless, so this
>
> I think that is known as giftware.
>
> Nice idea, but last time I looked paypal was very unfriendly to people in
> europe, they take an unjustifiably large slice off the top.

There's also Amazon's "honor system". Payments of $1 to $50 US. They
take a much bigger bite than Paypal, but at least they don't
discriminate. ;-/ And the receiver takes the hit, AFAIKT the payer
doesn't pay anything.

http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/subst/fx/help/payor-faq.html

Now, when is somebody going to invent a micropayments system that
works and catches on???

--

paul winkler home: http://www.slinkp.com music: http://www.reacharms.com calendars: http://www.calendargalaxy.com