[linux-audio-dev] Reference amplitudes and LADSPA (again)

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Reference amplitudes and LADSPA (again)
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 17:35:58 EET

Hi,

I think its time for me to go on about the lack of reference amplitudes in
LADSPA again. This still bites people on a regular basis.

In a nutshell I think that there should be a reference 0dB (LADSPA) level,
defined as 1.0f.

<rant>
That doesn't meant that abs(signal) can't go above 1.0f, just as it
doesn't meant that analogue signals can't go above 0dB in analogue
hardware. Its just a reference level.

It matters because, as it is, some hosts (notably applyplugin) send
signals in that are at 32768.0f, which renders any waveshaping or dynamics
processing code useless*, resulting in heavy distortion or silence.

Reasons why its a good idea:
 o ...reasons given above
 o It is confusing for newbies writing plugins, who don't know why thier
   trivial dsp code doens't work in applyplugin
 o Changing any existing hosts that don't use 1.0 is really easy
   (I allready have a patch for applyplugin)
 o It doesn't require modification to the api, just a note in the spec.
 o Compatibility with VST, jmax, matlab... and 99% of all example dsp code
 o I will shut up about it

Reasons why its a bad idea:
 o Requires a new package of the LADSPA SDK (with note and patched
   applyplugin)

* Unless you ask the user what the 0dB level for thier hosts is, but how
  the hell are they going to know that?
</rant>

- Steve