[linux-audio-dev] Proposal for using sound editors in an EDL environment, aka the stupid way ;-)

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Proposal for using sound editors in an EDL environment, aka the stupid way ;-)
From: Robert Jonsson (robert.jonsson_AT_dataductus.se)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 11:04:57 EET

Hi lads,

Back with more stupid ideas... ;-)

As I recall the subject of sound editors and EDL has been discussed before, with
the conclusion that it's hard to use standard editors together with and EDL
capable HDR (or whatever).

This has been naggning in the back of my mind, then it occured to me there is
actually an easy (but stupid) way, where you could actually use a standard
editor together with EDL. But I'm not sure that audio people would actually want
to work this way, you be the judge...

The idea is simply that the editor must be launched from the "master program",
whom takes necessary precautions by duplicating the part/parts that was intended
for editing.

Thus all editing will happen on a copy of the selected parts. When editing is
finished you close the editor and is returned to the "master program".
The "master program" then diffs the original parts and the altered copies. Saves
the changes best way possible and makes a mark in the EDL so it can be rolled back.

Easy as pie :-)

Pro:
- This would work with most editors out there without changes.
- No extra functionality is needed (some assumptions about how the editors work
though)

Con:
- Data copying can take a long time. Maybe starting editor in parallell can help
things...
- Editor has to be explicitly launched each time(could also take a long time)
Otherwise the "master program" can't tell when editing is started and finished.
Though this could be circumvented by adding extra functions to the editor, but
this defeats the idea.
- only one EDL statement added per edit, unless the diff can be devided
intelligently somehow.

All for now
/Robert