[linux-audio-dev] kernel preemption patch to 2.5 kernel tree!

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] kernel preemption patch to 2.5 kernel tree!
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 02:01:33 EET

This is great news. Linus has now added Robert Love's kernel preemption
patch to the 2.5 tree!

--cut--
"The addition of kernel preemption to the 2.5 tree is a substantial
feature which will provide benefit to a range of uses," Love told
LinuxDevices.com. "I'm happy to see the patch merged. It will be nice no
longer having to keep the patch up-to-date, which has proved a bit of work
in 2.5. I suspect, however, there is much work ahead now that preemption
is integrated."

"Further, this is just the beginning," Love added. "We can now work on
tackling problems with long-held locks and suboptimal algorithms that
delay kernel preemption for too long. We are off to a nice start."

As a result of this addition to the kernel, it will become possible to
enable kernel preemptibility (to improve the real-time responsiveness of
the Linux kernel) via a simple configuration setting when building the
kernel, CONFIG_PREEMPT -- much like enabling SMP, Love explained.
--cut--

This is a good time to read the following old message:

        http://eca.cx/lad/2000/Jun/0272.html

... this is what I call progress! :)

--
 http://www.eca.cx