Re: [linux-audio-dev] tracker with midi input

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] tracker with midi input
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 13:40:14 EET

matthew yee-king hat gesagt: // matthew yee-king wrote:

> Myself and a friend were just discussing the fact that there are no
> trackers available for linux with the ability to capture midi input,
>
> The question is - given that there are no trackers for linux with midi
> input, Is it particularly difficult to do this in a tracker or
> something? i seem to remember octamed on the miggy had a decent midi
> capture ability from early on.
>
> We are considering testing out our just learned C skills (we're a coupla
> shandy drinking java proggers) trying to adapt an existing program such
> as ttrk or shaketracker...

I find the shaketracker C++ code is very readable and highly
modularised, so that modifiyng it for Midi-In should be rather easy.
Although I also like ttrk a lot, I found shaketracker to be more
capable. For example, it has a lot of the typical Tracker effects (Axx,
Bxx,... ) ported to their midi equivalents, which I find very useful. I,
too, miss midi input in Shaketracker. But the author, Juan Linietsky,
now wrote a DX7-emulator, that reads midi data from an alsa sequencer
port. I guess, he will sooner or later incorporate this code into
Shaketracker - or you could do it? C++ is not *that* far away from java.

Soundtracker, which is a traditional tracker using the XM file format
with samples and stuff, has midi input, unfortunatly it was broken, last
time I checked, but that was some months ago. Maybe the code there could
serve as an example how to use midiin in a tracker-like environment, too.

bye,

--
                                                 __    __
 Frank Barknecht       ____ ______   ____ __ trip\ \  / /wire ______