Re: [linux-audio-dev] tracker with midi input

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] tracker with midi input
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 15:37:02 EET

Hi Robert,

Robert Jonsson hat gesagt: // Robert Jonsson wrote:

> Frank Barknecht wrote:
> >I don't give much about these Buzz-Maschines. In fact, I have set up a
> >decent working environment now by using PD as a synthesizer and sample
> >player, controlled by Shaketracker. IMO this beats Buzz by miles ;)
>
> The difference being that buzz machines are prebuilt, hence much easier to
> use for a musican. (Though pretty limited I would agree.)

What I personally don't like is that they don't need to be open source,
Buzz also isn't, or is it now? Buzz maschines in Soundtracker would load
with a Wine dll loader mechanism, like the divx dll loads in avifile.
Somehow I don't like that (although I do watch Futurama divx'es ;-)

> Which brings me to a question, is there a library of patches for Pd
> available somewhere?

There are a lot of patches, but most are distributed around several
websites. www.pure-data.org is a good, although a bit outdated start.
Also a great place is the pd-wiki at http://iem.kug.ac.at/pdwiki/ and
the Pure-Data-Base at http://iem.kug.ac.at/pdb, which is a searchable
collection of patches and externals. The best is of course the mailing
list pd-list, where all important patches are announced. Archived since
1998 at http://iem.kug.ac.at/mailinglists/pd-list/

One of the virtues of open source software, which a buzz machine can
be, but often isn't, is that one could reuse the machines for writing
a PD external object. I did this for example just yesterday with Juan
Linietsky's DX7 emulator rx-saturno, which is now available as a PD
instrument, too, at http://www.fbar.mynetcologne.de/get.html. The
external still has several bugs (note-off is broken), that I with my
minor knowledge of C++ cannot fix yet, but I hope, that someone will
take my work and build upon it. That's the way, open source goes, as you
know. One could also port rx-saturno to a LADSPA plugin, or a jackit
client, and everyone could use it in their favourite hosts.

bye,

--
                                                 __    __
 Frank Barknecht       ____ ______   ____ __ trip\ \  / /wire ______