[linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Writing Tutorial [was: tracker with midi input]

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Writing Tutorial [was: tracker with midi input]
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 18:17:03 EET

Steve Harris hat gesagt: // Steve Harris wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 02:37:02 +0100, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > One could also port rx-saturno to a LADSPA plugin, or a jackit
> > client, and everyone could use it in their favourite hosts.
>
> Yep, though this does seem like a lot of wasted effort. It's the same code
> in the end. it would be nice if there was one common denominator that
> could be used by everything. LADSPA is widely supported now, but it
> doesn't have a standard way of representing MIDI data (and shouldn't it's
> outside the remit) so its not good for soft-synths.

While we're at the subject of LADSPA, I would like to ask, if there's
somewhere a real beginner's tutorial for writing ladspa plugins. I
just started coding in C++. I have read several C++-books, but I only
have real programming practice in Perl and Python.

Then I discoverd the PD-External-HOWTO at the PD-Wiki. That one is a
document in the vein of the classic Linux-HOWTOS. It explains in detail
and in small steps, how to code a PD external. Even a dummy like me
could start writing his first small external only using this guide in
some hours.

I suspect, that writing LADSPA plugins is *very* similar to writing PD
externals. It's just, that a beginner like me can not learn how to code
a plugin by just looking at the header file. So a step-by-step guide,
going line by line through a simple plugin like the mixer, then on to
something more complicated like an analogue osc, would be so helpful. PD
has it, in LADSPA it seems missing.

And then we would attack your pole position in LADSPA plugin count!
"Yeah baby!!" [Austin Powers]

Ciao,

--
                                                 __    __