Re: [linux-audio-dev] Different Plug In API's

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Different Plug In API's
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 17:42:18 EET

>why do so much different Plug In API's exist
>(it seems that every application has it's own API)?

for the same reason that so many operating systems exist.

>Wouldn't it be much more efficient to bundle
>the power to one superb API?
>
>E.g. I have found LADSPA, MAIA and OX_API.

MAIA does not exist.
This is the first time I have ever heard of OX_API.

LADSPA does not belong to an application. It was developed to
represent a minimal subset of features found to be common to the
"native" plugin designs of several different programs. It was expected
that many applications using LADSPA would wrap it to provide
additional, application-specific functionality, while leaving the core
DSP code in a common, reusable location.

Anyway, your question is already too late. People who write audio
plugins for money already have to contend with VST, MAS, RTAS, TDM,
HTDM, DirectX and several others.

--p