Re: [linux-audio-dev] newbie question on installing glib

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] newbie question on installing glib
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 23:25:21 EET

On Thu, 2002-02-14 at 19:06, Bob Colwell wrote:
> Linux audio savants: I have a trivial newbie question. I have Mandrake Linux
> 8.1 on my P4 machine, and I've downloaded GLIB 1.2.10 and GTK+1.2.10 into
> two directories on my machine, like so:
>
> [bob_AT_localhost bob]$ ls
> autosave/ Desktop/ log.txt Mandrake/ music/ tmp/
> [bob_AT_localhost bob]$ cd music
> [bob_AT_localhost bob]$ ls
> glib/ gtk/
>
> Then I go into glib, I gunzip, tar --extract, and then ./configure.
> Everything seems to go ok, no errors or warnings.
>
> So I cd to gtk, gunzip, tar, ./configure, and get this error message:
>
> "checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.8 ... no
> *** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...
> *** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for
> the
> *** exact error that occurred. This usually means GLIB was incorrectly
> installed
> *** or that you have moved GLIB since it was installed. In the latter case,
> you
> *** may want to edit the glib-config script:
> /home/bob/music/glib/glib-1.2.10/glib-config"
>
> I open glib-config and see this:

> prefix=/usr/local
>
> Which is the only path-like thing I recognize. Yes, there's a /lib on that
> path but there's nothing in it. Should glib's glib-config have put something
> there?
>
> Any help much appreciated. Seems like the tutorials all begin AFTER
> succeeding at this stuff!
>
> -BobC

you need to compile and install them

cd ~/music/glib/glib-1.2.10
make
(as root)
make install

there will be a file called INSTALL which has more info. And probably
one called README that is interesting.

This is probably not what you want you probably want the precomplied
biniary's and development files for your distribution. I know nothing
about Mandrake. But some where you will have instructions on how to
install extra packages. Failing that a news group or mailing list for
mandrake is the best place to ask questions.

P.s don't click replay on unrelated messages as you go in odd places in
the thread. If it's a new message click the new button rather than
reply.

--

rob