Re: [linux-audio-dev] steinberg vst system link

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] steinberg vst system link
From: Paul Kellett (paul.kellett_AT_maxim.abel.co.uk)
Date: Sat Feb 16 2002 - 16:47:19 EET

> the question i have goes like this.
>
> you've got 1 bit at 44.1->96kHz, providing total bandwidth of
> 43-93kB/sec. with that bandwidth, you've got to:
>
> 1) encode temporal position
> 2) transmit transport state changes

<snip>
> so, i'm confused about exactly *what* they have done and *how* they
> have done it.

I'm assuming it works like their (and emagic's) recent MIDI interfaces
- it sends everything ahead of time and leaves it up to the receiving
device to actually "play" the events at the correct time. The giveaway
will be if system link only works for recorded tracks, that can be sent
in advance by at least all the latency they are going to experience,
and not for live MIDI or audio input.

What I'm interested to see is if they've arranged the data carried in
the lowest bit to have a white spectrum, so you could still use that
channel for carrying 15- or 23-bit audio.

Paul.

  m a x i m | digital audio

    http://mda-vst.com