Re: [linux-audio-dev] MMX, SSE, SSE2, 3DNOW

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] MMX, SSE, SSE2, 3DNOW
From: Richard Guenther (rguenth_AT_tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Sun Feb 17 2002 - 14:13:08 EET

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 01:06:07PM +1100, David Burrows wrote:
> On 16 Feb 2002, Alexander Ehlert wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > AFAIK there are no flags whatsoever to indicate which processor a plugin
> > might use. So if someone wants to hack a plugin that uses SSE
> > instructions and someone else tries to use that on a host without SSE
> > support -> crash. So wouldn't it be good to add some architecture flags,
> > that could be queried by the host?
>
> Under Linux with proc filesystem support you can simply take a look at
> /proc/cpuinfo, specifically the flags line. There may even be some kind
> of kernel syscall that returns the processor flags that are set/available.

Well, thats the local CPU part, but the point was to query the
subarchitecture the _plugin_ was compiled for. F.I. if you run a
SSE using plugin on a not-SSE-supporting platform you get SIGILL and
probably a crash of your whole program.

Btw, querying would be not enough, but instead having multiple objects
for each subarchitecture would be necessary - or autodetection of
CPU capability inside the plugin.

Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <richard.guenther_AT_uni-tuebingen.de>
The GLAME Project: http://www.glame.de/