Re: [linux-audio-dev] introduction & ideas

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] introduction & ideas
From: Charles Iliya Krempeaux (tnt_AT_linux.ca)
Date: Sat Feb 23 2002 - 21:31:39 EET

Hello,

On Sat, 2002-02-23 at 10:07, Stefan Kost wrote:

[...]

> > Well, we definitely need a place where Linux Multimedia developers
> > can "come together". (I'm assuming you're dealing with all
> > media -- audio, video, text, etc -- and not just audio.)
>
> Exactly, thats why I suggested "unix media". Another point is just calling it "unix ..." and not e.g. "linux media".

Is "unix media" the correct term either? (Specifically "unix".)

What is "unix"?

Are we talking about POSIX? Are we talking about the BSD stuff?
Are we talking Sys V stuff? The SRV4 stuff? Or what? (You know
that Linux is not Unix, don't you?)

And does it only have to be on these systems? (What about systems
like AtheOS, Windows, Mac OS X, ReactOS, BeOS, etc?)

To me, it seems that what we are talking about is "media development"
relating to free software, and open source software. (But correct
me if I am wrong.)

Maybe we should give it a name to reflect that? Or maybe
we should just make up a name, and call it that?

> > The closest thing to it, that I know of, is the #gstreamer IRC channel
> > (on irc.OpenProjects.net). But it's not quite the correct place.
> >

> For exchanging ideas, IRC is definitely better, but the website is better in providing
> a static snapshot about whats going on.

So what you are saying is that you want is a "starting place". A place
where anyone can come to to learn about or discuss "media development".
Correct? (Because if that is the case, then I know it is a thing
alot of people have wanted for a while.)

I think it would also be helpful to have:

     o Related Mailing Lists

     o IRC channels

     o A weblog

See ya