Re: [linux-audio-dev] introduction & ideas

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] introduction & ideas
From: Charles Iliya Krempeaux (tnt_AT_linux.ca)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 08:32:41 EET

Hello,

On Sat, 2002-02-23 at 11:56, Paul Davis wrote:
> >Are we talking about POSIX? Are we talking about the BSD stuff?
> >Are we talking Sys V stuff? The SRV4 stuff? Or what? (You know
> >that Linux is not Unix, don't you?)
>
> there are not many device drivers for interesting, let alone high-end,
> devices for the *BSD series of kernels. the fact is that most
> development in this field (that is open-source too) is taking place
> under Linux, with whatever that implies. Whether its animation, audio,
> video, whatever - the major impetus within the open source world comes
> from Linux. *BSD is proving its place as an excellent server/secure
> OS, but it doesn't have any of the multimedia momentum that has begun
> to emerge with Linux.

So then, what is your suggestion for the name? "Linux Media"?
"Linux Multimedia"? "linmedia"? "Linux Multimedia Developers"?
"Linux Mulimedia Developers SIG"? "Linux Multimedia Developers
Network"? "LMDN"? "LiMuDeN"? "Mr. Ed" Or what? (Everyone,...
feel free to add to the list.)

> >And does it only have to be on these systems? (What about systems
> >like AtheOS, Windows, Mac OS X, ReactOS, BeOS, etc?)
>
> Writing multimedia apps is not a trivial affair, and even knowing
> enough to write trivial programs for all these OS's is more than most
> people want to deal with.

Well, with some things, like OpenGL... you do get a cross platform
Multimedia API. (Although OpenGL does not cover everything you'd
want to do with Multimedia... not even the emerging OpenGL 2.0 does
that.)

But their are certain aspects of multimedia development that is
cross platform. Like, discussion of how to read and play a DVD.
Like discussions of (general) algorithms. Discussions about
codecs. And many other various higher-level topics.

IMO, a place where free or open source software Multimedia developers
can come together is needed, because there are many things that are
platform independent.

See ya

--
     Charles Iliya Krempeaux