Re: [linux-audio-dev] Sample Rate / Resolution question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Sample Rate / Resolution question
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 01 2002 - 15:56:26 EET

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 01:18:15 -0800, Paul Winkler wrote:
> This is true, but it does matter for another reason: resampling to a non-integral
> ratio requires more sophisticated interpolation and is less likely to be accurate.
> So for work targeted to CD, 88.2 would be a better sampling rate, assuming
> you believe it's any better than 44.1. I haven't yet convinced myself it's necessary.

Er, I don't think that's correct. You have to do all the altialiasing and
should use a decent resampling algorithm regardless of wether there is an
integral ratio or not.

The sinc resampler is no simpler for integral ratios. If you use a cheap
decimator to go from 88.2 to 44.1 your quality will suffer.

- Steve