Re: [linux-audio-dev] introduction & ideas

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] introduction & ideas
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Sun Mar 03 2002 - 02:22:46 EET

On Sunday 24 February 2002 19.40, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
[...]
> There are still many major developer groups dealing with multimedia
> that are not actively participating on these lists. The biggest
> ones are groups working on desktop environment media subsystems and
> game developers (OpenAL, SDL, etc). The reason for lack of
> communication is usually lack of time. These bigger developer
> groups already have their own mailing lists and irc channels so
> they don't have much time (or need) for LAD/LAU. And this is
> perfectly understandable. Although I still hope we could maintain a
> line of communication.

I'm on the SDL list as well, and I've been using SDL a great deal
lately - and as you can see, I'm back here again. (Muhahahaaa!!! ;-)

When I get the chance, I try to pass knowledge and experience gained
here on to SDL hackers doing similar stuff.

BTW, I'm back to hacking audio stuff again - although not really for
the studio. (But it's turning out a lot better than I expected, so
who knows...)

> > 1. start a sourceforge foundry
> > name suggestions : "unix media" (other names are welcome)
> > 2. start a sourceforge project along with the foundry, which is
> > aplain website project this way we all could easily contribute to
> > build an informative website for audio-development, collecting
> > links etc.
>
> My view is that building yet another community project would just
> harm LAD and LAU by further dividing the free-software and
> open-source developers.
>
> A better approach is to help build and maintain LAD/LAU related web
> sites and resources. Here's a few overview/news web sites:
>
> http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/
> http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/linuxsound/
> http://mstation.org
> http://www.linuxmusic.fr.st

I'm not sure... but unless a community is too crowded to function,
why risk weakening it by (unintentionally) splitting it up?

There are too many *lists* for people to be on all the interesting
ones - but checking the news sections of a few sites is doable.

//David

| Multimedia Application Integration Architecture |
`----------------------> http://www.linuxaudiodev.com/maia -'