[linux-audio-dev] off topic, optical protocols

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] off topic, optical protocols
From: D. Stimits (stimits_AT_idcomm.com)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 03:31:12 EET

This isn't really an audio Q, but it is probably best asked of audio
programmers. I have never looked at optical protocols for audio cards,
I'm wondering if anyone could give me a ball park estimate of how
feasible it would be to create a controller device, such as a joystick,
that has direct optical output, and hijack the sound card optical in for
an optical substitute for an input port? Could the optical in be used
for non-audio controllers that understand the optical protocols?

I'm also interested in knowing how hard it is, in general, to create
optical output hardware for audio devices, specifically if I were to
make a small microphone pre-amp, and wanted it to create optical output
instead of analog, how big of a mess would I be getting into?

D. Stimits, stimits_AT_idcomm.com