Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA and JACK

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA and JACK
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 17:14:24 EET

>I still think there is, but I'm not so sure it's actually something
>that can be implemented with a reasonable amount of work. I believe
>the problem with any new toolkit of the traditional kind is that it
>would either be too restrictive, or too hard to learn. (Most) plugin
>coders want to hack DSP code, and GUI designers usually don't know
>much about programming. Both (to the extent that plugin coders care
>at all) still want their GUIs to look way cool and support all sorts
>of custom widgets - and they don't want to spend days or weeks trying
>to understand a new toolkit, and hacking (messy) code for it.
>
>So what do we need?
>
>Well, basically this:
>
> * No restrictions!
> * No learning curve!
> * No code!
> * Great results!

I don't think that any of these are in the requirements set. The basic
requirement is:

        * works with any host/plugin combination

I haven't heard of anyone who has a problem learning a new GUI if they
have to. We've got people on this list who like GTK, FLTK, Qt and
others. The problem is that choosing any of the available toolkits
instantly makes the plugin/host incompatible with some desirable
targets.

The problem isn't making chrome easy. It isn't the available
widgets. Its the presence of an event loop that is incompatible with
another toolkit. At least, thats the problem that I see and was
referring to.

--p