Re: [linux-audio-dev] Searching for midi-specification

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Searching for midi-specification
From: Martijn Sipkema (msipkema_AT_sipkema-digital.com)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 12:55:04 EET

> Exclusive messages can contain any number of data bytes and can be
> terminated either by an End of Exclusive (EOX) or any other status
> byte (except real-time messages).

I knew system exclusive could be terminated by a other than real-time
status byte, but I thought that would cancel the system exclusive
message. Is that right? Or can a byte be saved when another message
is to be sent right after a system exclusive?

> Since the purpose of MIDI is to connect many kinds of musical
> instruments and peripheral equipment, it is best not to use
> Exclusive messages to convey real-time performance information (with
> the exception of special Universal messages described
> below). Performance information is best sent via Channel Voice
> messages in real time.

So this means that it is nice to be able to send at least 8 byte long (
in the case of master volume) sysex messages accurately.

--martijn