[linux-audio-dev] RE: [Alsa-devel] ALSA vs OSS/free

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] RE: [Alsa-devel] ALSA vs OSS/free
From: James Courtier-Dutton (James_AT_superbug.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 17:14:01 EET

As a programmer, alsa is just much easier to use.
alsa provides a consistent api interface for all sound cards thanks to the
alsa-lib. (shared user space code)
So, if I write an app for my sound card, I can be pretty sure the app will
work on all other sound cards.

With OSS/Free, hardly any of the drivers support all the OSS api features,
so the application has to do work arounds if certain api features are not
present. To me that is messy.

Alsa should always be considered as a low level driver to drive the hardware
and nothing more.
Then one can put ardour and jack on top, for extra features.

Cheers
James