Re: [linux-audio-dev] ALSA vs OSS/free

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ALSA vs OSS/free
From: Jussi Laako (jussi.laako_AT_kolumbus.fi)
Date: Fri Mar 08 2002 - 22:57:52 EET

Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> So shortly put, ALSA provides a better framework for writing drivers and
> for developing audio applications. When comparing OSS/Free and ALSA from
> an end-user's point of view, it comes down to the quality of the drivers
> for the soundcard type in question, and the specific applications that
Some of my negative points for ALSA (compared to commercial OSS):

 - Linux only
 - Too difficult to install and configure for end users
 - More difficult to program
 - Seems to require dynamically linked libasound (?)
 - use libasound doesn't follow unix ideology of "everything is a file",
   users should only know about /dev/<something>

        - Jussi Laako

--
PGP key fingerprint: 161D 6FED 6A92 39E2 EB5B  39DD A4DE 63EB C216 1E4B
Available at PGP keyservers