RE: [linux-audio-dev] ALSA vs OSS/free

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] ALSA vs OSS/free
From: Ivica Bukvic (ico_AT_fuse.net)
Date: Sun Mar 10 2002 - 04:13:06 EET

Since we are talking about this [non]issue, again, I just realized that
there is one thing I am still not able to comprehend completely, so I
would greatly appreciate any thoughts on this one.

It is no rocket science to figure out that Alsa is the way to go, and I
am all for it. But one thing I do not comprehend is why is the
user-space driver better than the kernel space one?

Is it because this way kernel will eventually become more stable and
more compact having all drivers loaded outside of the kernel space? (I'd
assume yes, but please correct me if I am wrong)

Also, in which case do you get better latency and overall system
performance (I thought that if something is run in kernel-space that it
gets higher priority, if so, won't this kind of move of making all
drivers outside the kernel space, make Linux slower?)?

Finally, is this because Linus wants to eventually get to the point
where kernel won't require any more alterations, and where all the
external modules will be developed and/or loaded as needed? (Again, I'd
assume this is one of the important reasons, but please correct me if I
am wrong)

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Ico