RE: [linux-audio-dev] ALSA vs OSS/free

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] ALSA vs OSS/free
From: Dan Hollis (goemon_AT_anime.net)
Date: Sun Mar 10 2002 - 04:46:28 EET

On Sat, 9 Mar 2002, Ivica Bukvic wrote:
> It is no rocket science to figure out that Alsa is the way to go, and I
> am all for it. But one thing I do not comprehend is why is the
> user-space driver better than the kernel space one?

It is simply 100,000,000 times more flexible than a kernel space solution.

Also, heavy calculations can be done in userspace for e.g. complex mixing,
format, and rate conversions. Kernelspace is the worst possible place you
can ever do that.

-Dan

--
[-] Omae no subete no kichi wa ore no mono da. [-]