Re: [linux-audio-dev] introduction & ideas

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] introduction & ideas
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Sun Mar 10 2002 - 19:40:38 EET

On Sunday 10 March 2002 03.01, Paul Davis wrote:
[...]
> >I don't think a new clock would make much sense. You could just
> > run the kernel with a higher clock resolution I think.
>
> Well, the overhead of the system timer interrupt is ever-present.

Except that, thanks to this legacy crap in PC chipsets, it costs a
great deal more when you have to reprogram the timer frequently...
(SMP systems should be fine, though - although I don't know if Linux
can use those timers right now.)

//David

| Multimedia Application Integration Architecture |
`----------------------> http://www.linuxaudiodev.com/maia -'